Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Funday

Just a recap of a fabulous weekend...

Friday I moved (and by moved, I mean, sat) in my new office. I haven't really talked about work lately, except for complaining, but I guess I will get to that at another post. I have a new office within another insurance agency (Life, Health and Annuities) in New Brittany (off College and New Brittany Blvd.). The staff I will be working with are very friendly and I seem to get along with all of them very well. It will be nice to get out of the house, aside from running to the post office everyday. We had a U-6 soccer game and Kyla scored a goal (I think we won, we don't really keep track)! And then, we had one of our co-ed games and we won 5-1. My sister, Maria scored a goal (wahoo!) and I assisted two. I, however, am having some sort of anti-magnestism problem with the ball and the net (i.e. my justification for missing multiple goals I should have made). I am so glad I am playing again, especially with my sister. It makes it even more worthwhile when the boys on our team talk about "the sisters" and scream exclamatories like, "The sisters are on Fi-Yah!" heh. Lovin' it.
Maria and I went to dinner at Outback after soccer and she realized how much sin is in that place. Every other word from every one's mouth is a cuss word or calling out my boy Jesus in a bad way. She was really able to see how that can be such a hinder in my walk.
Saturday I woke up and went back to the fields. (Story of my life August thru December.) Sean and our U-12 boys had a game and lost miserably. It was so incredibly frustrating, especially since our boys are better than they played and as a coach, there wasn't much else we could do. Next weekend is our last regular season game before playoffs. I sure hope we can get it all together. We went to lunch with Maria's fam and our other assistant coach, Drummond's family (who are like my BFF's). It was a great time! (Then I took a brief nap and went to the Hell that is known as Outback.)
Sunday I went to church and Nolan spoke about living missionally... (which ended up being a great preparation for my lunch plans). We also had a missionary from New Hope Brazil of Rio speak. They should a video and he told a story that really touched me. I felt God pulling at my heart and calling me to missions... the details of which, I will pray and ponder about. I served in the BigEnuf (4 year olds) ministry for the third service and spent some great time with April and Ciara and some awesome kids. It is so great to see 4 year olds that know about the Gospel. I ran into a friend, Erin (we are going through some of the same things in our life right now...) and she was telling me about a book I should read. I am so thankful for the body that makes up Summit Church and the community that I have gotten to know better and better.
After church, I met up with my mother for lunch. Sigh. My mother and I do not have the best of relationships. She is over bearing, controlling and a complete paranoid worry-wart. Literally, she has police dispatches texted to her phone. (For example, a car crash on I-75; a body found in the Everglades; or 60 year old man drowns in the Gulf.) Regardless of the situation, the lady calls her children to varifying their continued existence. Yes, she will always be my mother. But it is a little out of control... especially when she ONLY calls to (a) check to make sure you are not involved in any previously mentioned disaster, (b) advise you of speed traps, DUI check points or closed bridges/roads/highways, (c) see if you can stop at her house to make sure she didn't leave her auto-shut-off iron/coffemaker/straightner/dryer/dishwasher on or (d) to sit on the phone with her while she gets gas/goes to the atm/drives on a dark road/walks in her house during the dark. It's exhausting just talking about it.
So, we're at lunch and somehow the subject of church comes up. We are talking about the difference between Catholicism (as we were raised and her belief) and Protestantism (the church I belong to). My mother pulls out this hippie-type "I believe Heaven is a place your soul goes when you die, everyone gets in, we all believe in the same God- just different ways of getting there" crap. I am in shock... the mother that took me to church EVERY Sunday, rain or shine, in sickness and in health, relentlessly did not allow me to miss a Catechism lesson, etc. is telling me everyone is going to Heaven and that she doesn't believe in Hell. I pull out a few truths from the Bible and she calls me a Fundementalist. I tell her Jesus is the Way, the Trust and the Life (something we said in every Mass) and the only way to get to God is through HIM and she calls me a right-wing Christian. (P.S. Thank you Jesus for allowing my first "back to following Christ again" witness experience to be with my MOTHER! Boy you know what you are doing...) My sister calls at the exact right time and we finish up lunch, but I am pretty sure I have made my point, maybe as a Fundementalist, but all she offered was opinions as an Idealist. (I'd rather have facts than ideas any day.)
Then I went to Libby's house! Libby has been my best friend since fourth grade. She has been at the University of Florida (Go Gators) for the past 4 years and recently lived in London for 6 months. She is amazing and is living back in the Fort for 6 months before acquiring a 2-year visa to go back to the UK. I am so excited for our time to live in the same city together again! We had a blast just unpacking her room, eating dinner with her parents and going through old scrapbooks (pictures to come soon).
My Facebook Fast is nearing an end and I am thrilled. I have definitely learned to not keep a website as an idol in my life... and am proud of myself for getting through it (30 more minutes!!!!). The upcoming week is going to be cold, and filled with the end of regular season soccer games (for both teams I coach and our co-ed team). I am so ready to get my life back, but I know I will miss soccer and my boys terribly. Every season is the same rotation, I can't wait for it to start, and can't wait for it to end. I am still working on the living situation but I think things are starting to fall in place... or in God's plan.

No comments: