Friday, November 7, 2008

Always being taught...

Its funny.... once I get rid of these HUGE sins in my life, it is only more apparent that I have so many more, and that each one isn't bigger than the next but all are equal. For some reason, I rested in the thought that "If I just get rid of this and this, I will be wholly yours!". Not so much.
Last week I was reading a verse in Ephesians from my devotional.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
I wrote the verse on a page in my journal and like so many things in my life, thought, I will come back and journal about what this means to me.
Cue yesterday morning. Lawton and I decided I would devote all of Thursday to getting these commercial apps that take a TON of concentration done. God had other plans. My phone was ringing off the hook and I had problem after problem. I was so irritated by 11am, I lashed out at Lawton and was ready to cry. So I decided to go in my room (I work from home mostly), silence both my phones, lock my door, close my slider and just sit, read the Bible, pray and journal. I went to the page and journaled about Ephesians 2:8-9 and what it meant to me. My main point was that I can do anything through Christ because his spirit is inside of me, I have strength through him and he deserves the credit. (For those of you who know me... I may be considered boastful...maybe.) It was a refreshing half hour that gave me a new perspective and the ability to handle these hills with Christ's love! On Tuesday night at Crew, Chris taught us to live and work as slaves, to do the things no one else wants to do. He challenged us to question WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR??
(Stick with me... there is a point.)
Last night I went to Outback and worked by BUTT off. I didn't have many tables but I was doing sidework and running food like a mad woman. I knew the expo manager noticed me, we joked about my food running, etc. We had a post-shift little meeting before cuts were made and the manager, Steve said they wanted to point out 4 people who really went above and beyond tonight and they had a couple prizes for them. I sat there thinking, my name is totally gonna be called... I know I did more than any of these people. 1,2,3,4 names called. None were mine. I was pissed. I thought (in poutiest voice possible) "Fine, if no one is going to recognize the work I do, then I will just stop!" Finally God hit me...
Do not boast. Work as a slave. Credit the Lord for your works, not yourself. Accomplishments are a gift from God and I shouldn't expect to always reap credit and praise.
Thank you God for continuously teaching me and give me the ability to see your lessons in my life, rather than staying bitter and angry. I pray that you continue to teach me and yeild me to becoming closer and more like you.

No comments: