Tuesday, April 21, 2009

OBC


Out of the Box Challenge hereinafter will be known as 'OBC'.

My dear friend Hallie (whom I am so eagerly awaiting to visit in NYC for the fourth of July) and I were speaking this evening. At first glance, people would not think we are very much alike... and a lot of people who know us, probably don't think we are a lot alike. And we may very well not be... but we do have a different connection. A deeper one. I have known Hal since eighth grade (it was a great first impression- I was playing soccer in the rain and ran after a ball and slipped in a mud puddle in the neighborhood- and by mud puddle I mean ditch filled with muddy rain water). Over the years we have gotten increasingly closer. There were/are times where we can't stand each other. Actually probably at least once a visit. And I have just come to the realization that it is because we are so much alike.
We were both raised by crazy counselor mothers who would dissect our every thought. As a result, we are over-analytical, critical and left with severe emotional issues. When I act, I like to figure out why I act, why I react, what its "stemming" from and what sort of previous incident is greased to the bottom of this layered cake 'issue'. When I can't figure it out, I go to her. I tell her my issues and we unfold it together. She asks me the questions I have been locking in the back of my head. She doesn't tell me what I want to hear, she doesn't tell me anything really... she gives me the tools to figure it out myself. She is a great counselor.
We have different issues... I am an over-committer- enslaved to my 'priorities' or engagements, she is a flake- fleeting and unpredictable. She lives in New York City and I live in sunny consistent Fort Myers, Fl. She has endured pain and loss and administered strength- a reaction unimaginable for me. We have different beliefs- different views of God- different views of life.

There is a point, I promise.

So tonight she tells me she reads my blog and we are kind of whining about life and work and guys, etc. Then she says we need to push harder and step back from our everyday lives. (I was confused at this point too.) I ask my questions and she says, we need to try things we don't usually attempt (probably because we are too busy over-analyzing and if we truly come to a conclusion that its a good idea, the opportunity has escaped). We conclude to establish the OBC. Out of the Box Challenge will be a 30 day challenge to do something that requires us to step out of the box, feel awkward or out of place- at least once a day. No matter how big or small. We won't tell people about it, just blog about. And we will keep each other accountable, encouraged and find the lessons in the midst of the pain, stomach knots, and/or rejections. We're doing this and we are going to learn a lot... experience a lot... and hopefully step out with some new perspective.
This shall be interesting.



1 comment:

Britten said...

this excites me! I can't wait to read all about your awkward encounters!