Friday, March 27, 2009

Pray expectantly.

As a child, I was taught to not expect anything from anyone else but myself. That I could rely on nothing but my own capabilities (overly independent single mother... and you-can-do-anything-you-put-your-mind-to father). I have always had leadership qualities and an 'I can do it better on my own' attitude- some might call me a control freak. This train of thought really gets in the way when I am trying to depend on the Lord. But as he always does, He teaches me and proves to me how dependent He truly is-and I know He is dependent... I just am so earthly.

So the last week of the month entered in very quickly this past Monday. We get commission from our car insurance companies on the 5th and the homeowner companies on the 15th. So I pay my rent with our car insurance commission and other bills with the homeowners commission (those are my cuts at least). My partner, Lawton (otherwise known as my work husband) cares about and is always thinking of me and my stuff... So he comes to me Monday and says we only have 2 auto policies on the books for this month, there is no way we (hence, he says, we) can pay your rent with that. We really have to target auto this week. I agree with him, however, there are very few people that just get quotes and switch car insurance within a couple days. People switch at renewal unless you save them loads of money, or switch when their next payment is due. Another catch, we have to have the policies bound by the 27th in order to receive the commission by the 5th. So I call and text and facebook market, etc. AND I pray. I pray that God will either help me make a lot of money at my second job or bring my policies in order to pay my bills! I prayed for our company (something I do not do enough of, because I think I got it...) and Lawton....
And now today is Friday, the 27th. By the end of the day, I will have written 5 new policies this week- that alone will beyond cover my rent and utilities. How cool is that!?
Lawton's mother, who happens to be a an amazingly wise Christian woman, someone I look up to and receive MUCH advice from, always tells me to pray expectantly. This is a hard concept for me... but I am learning. The Lord is teaching me.... always teaching me- and I will continue to learn and learn and re-learn and re-learn. I love when God answers my prayers so specifically and I get to share these amazing experiences with my non-believing friends... God is so good.

"I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer. Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes."

Psalm 17:6-7

1 comment:

Four Boys and a Girl..On Our Journey with Five Kids. said...

Yay!!! God is SOOOO good!!!

PS. Even though your "deadline" is over, keep your hard work up!!